tirsdag 30. september 2014

Videos and more

I am well on my way on this new MOOC I am taking. It's a University of London course through Coursera about learning called the Future of Education.

Today's work consisted of watching a few interviews about learning. They were very short - just 5-10 minutes each, so it was easy to do this in-between all the other things one has to do in a day. Funny that, as it is EXACTLY that of learning in-between everything else one does in a day that annoys me the most when my students tell me how they go about doing their course work! That makes it quite clear to me just how much times - and education (and students) - has changed since I went to college. I may consider promising to change the way I build up my video lectures.

With that onboard I also found it interesting that today's videos were about how we as individuals learn. Also, they specifically spoke about reflection journals and learning. I may not retract my stance on reflection texts, but I may be willing to modify it a bit. So reflection journals may be good, but I don't know if they ultimately result in generally everyone, or even specifically me, learning more than just by normal lectures (teacher delivery, didactic learning, as it was called).

If we assume that most students (not people in general, as that would give you a different base to work with all together) at my college do not learn best by didactic lecturing, then it is certainly interesting to tone down this type of delivery and - as discussed in today's videos - prepare courses more as a facilitator of learning. It sounds simple, but that is actually a complex enough idea in that it entails so much.

Also I have read some texts which are available online for this week's work. I liked this one, as it appeals to my visual learning preferences. But it is actually quite extensive and because of the mapped visualisation hard to navigate in any sort of chronological or argue-based order. It's a net resource so it follows the postmodern approach to information. One tasty tidbit from it, though, which is I fund very true. I can't help myself but put this in here, even though I could possible have reflected on far more things on that site...

"Sometimes there is a direct connection between the content of a course and the occupation it leads to. In my humble opinion, that is usually a second best, anyway. It leads to some spurious "subjects" being offered in universities, in which any self-respecting student will be a surface learner because the subject has no intellectual coherence."

Read more: For surface learning http://www.doceo.co.uk/heterodoxy/surface.htm#ixzz3EnLHH9SY
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives. I can recommend it, and source it as: Atherton J S (2013) Learning and Teaching; Angles on learning, particularly after the schooling years [On-line: UK] retrieved 30 September 2014 from http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/

I am finding the workload - if taken seriously to be - quite time consuming, but I guess that is the crux of all learning, ultimately, no?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar